Watch that NeXtsTeP - it's a Doozy!
A Brief History of Modern Time
by Stephen Jobsing
- early 80s: Jobs puts the PC & mini worlds out of business with the Apple II.
- mid 80s: Jobs puts the PC & mini worlds out of business with the Lisa.
- mid 80s: Jobs puts the PC & mini worlds out of business with the Mac.
- late 80s: Jobs puts Apple, PC & workstation worlds out of business with the NeXt.
- late 80s: Jobs convinces IBM to scrap AIX, CMS, OS/2, OS/400, JCL, MVS and a plethora of other OSes for NS.
- early 90s: Jobs puts Apple, PC & workstation worlds out of business with the nExT NeXt.
- mid 90s: Jobs takes over entire PC market with port of NExtSteP.
- mid 90s: Jobs takes over entire workstation market with port of neXTsTEp.
The Future of Homo Computiens
by Stephen JobsingPerhaps tomorrow he can take over the factory floor, MIS, and auto underhood environments, and the nEXt (sic) day, the avionics industry and space programs...
"Ah... Houston, we have a problem. <kkkkksssshhhh>"
"Go ahead, Atlantis. <kkkkksssshhhh>"
"We attempted to execute the emergency evacuation procedure, but all that's happening is we see this big, multicolored wheel spinning on the heads up display, and the fuel temp is still rising and <kkkkkkkkkksssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh>"
"Atlantis? This is Houston! Do you read? Over!"
A friend mentioned to a NExtHEad:
Well, I guess you don't remember X11 being a "hostile port" when Sun had selected NeWS, and I guess that Motif was a "hostile toolkit" when Sun had selected OpenLook, and maybe you won't think that Taligent is a "hostile environment" when Sun has selected OpenStep.
Do we see a trend here? If Jobs had any sense, he'd do his best to make sure Sun refused to have anything to do with his product, that they formally announced "it will be a cold day in hell before we'll even allow anyone saying the words NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP at Sun to live out the rest of their..." <BLAM!>
Then, as the underdog, he could reasonably expect to own the workstation OS market in a couple of years.
"Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat its mistakes."
Dedicated to Justin Morgan and all the other nEXtHeaDs^H^H^H^H^H faithful out there.
These are my rants and do not in any way, shape, or form imply concurrance on the part of anyone else.
[Return to rants index]